Volunteering for the Humane Society is not the same as volunteering at the Animal Shelter. In addition to the Adopt Shop, P.W. Humane Society has several programs and events that welcome and require volunteer assistance. We are currently accepting applications for membership in our Volunteer Program and we would love to have you! Volunteers are an important part of our mission and opportunities to serve are numerous and varied – from socializing dogs and cats, laundry, donation sorting, development assistance, outreach at events and more.
The Humane Society works closely with the Shelter to assure that all adoptable animals the Shelter takes in are adopted. We do this through our new Adopt Shop and our various programs such as Seniors 4 Seniors, Warrior Buddies, Poor Animals Welfare and Surgical Fund (PAWS), and LUCAS Cares Spay/Neuter Fund. Basically, the Humane Society raises the funding to save homeless animals lives and make adoption affordable to as many citizens as possible. We also now have the new Adopt Shop, where homeless pets from the Shelter are transferred to our Dumfries Adopt Shop location to live, socialize, and thrive until they are adopted. All of these programs require volunteers and we welcome your time and talents.
The Prince William Humane Society is looking for compassionate people who really want to make a difference in saving pets lives, getting animals adopted and ending the unnecessary euthanasia of innocent homeless pets. Won’t you join us?
People who possess the following traits and talents are encouraged to volunteer:
- Fund Raising Assistance: Anyone who would like to participate in events: setting up and breaking down displays, interacting with the public and fund raising.
- Administrative Assistance: We need people with clerical, computer and organizational skills to assist with administrative duties.
- Event Promotion Assistance: We can always use help with planning and promoting events. Volunteers should have experience with planning events and PR skills.
- Specific Program Volunteers: Individuals interested in specific programs or funds are invited to volunteer to help work with and promote that program to the public.
- Animal Handlers, Dog Walkers, Cat Cuddlers: If you are interested in working hands on with the homeless pets, please complete an application for the Adopt Shop.
- Community Classes: We offer classes to the community on various pet related themes such as T-Touch Massage, CPR, Behavioral Assesments, Training, etc. If you have expertise in any of these areas, we would be interested in speaking with you.
- Other: If you have a talent or idea that is not listed above, please let us know. We’re always willing to listen to new ideas.
Membership in the P.W. Humane Society Volunteer Program requires a membership donation of $25.per individual or $50 per family, which includes your Volunteer T-shirt, background investigation, 10% annual discount at our pet boutique and all special event tickets, early ticket sales, quarterly newsletter, entry into various volunteer prize contests and free annual renewal for those volunteers completing 200 or more volunteer hours per year. All volunteers are required to become members, have a background check complete and receive training in all aspects of the Prince William Humane Society skill sets. You’ll love the Differnce You Make and the animals will love you for it!